- I was underwhelmed by the first episode of Star Trek: Discovery, but I’ll keep watching. Here are some reviews of the first few episodes.
- Nice essay about a great writer, Ross Macdonald.
- Interesting piece on Sears, Roebuck, and Co. and how it compares to what Amazon is doing.
- Cable Neuhaus on the death of encyclopedia.
- A look at author Ann Patchett and the bookstore she co-owns, Parnassus Books in Nashville.
- If you like cocoa and you like sandwiches, how about combining the two in this recipe from 1925?